I will tell you about this lovely, colourful plant of the legume family. It's called lentil (lens culinaris) in English, because they are lens shaped seeds, in Czech Čočka, in French lentil, in Kurdish nesk (nazanim bo:D), in Arabic adas (from adasa), in Norwegian linse, which all give the same meaning :).
Lentils are one of the best food, that you can have as a meal, which make you feel full and energetic at the lowest amount of calories, at any time, i.e. the best choice for late time hunger! It's also easy to cook and doesn't need lots of preparations, for example you don't need to decide one day before and soack it in water for hours like beans (Fasoliya, Hummus/Nok) which makes me lazy to do it! It also takes around 20 minutes to be ready.
And here you have the health benefits that you can get from only one cup of lentils (230 calories):
- Reduction of blood cholesterol levels.
- Reduced risk of heart diseases, due to the high amount of folate and magnesium, that it can supply us with. Folate reduces homocysteine levels, which is a serious risk factor for heart diseases, magnesium improves blood flows, oxygen and nutrients throughout our bodies. Low level of magnesium are associated with cardiac diseases.
- Digestion, because lentils contain insoluble dietary fibres, which prevent constipation and other digestive tract diseases like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis.
- Stabilization of blood sugar, this can be especially helpful for those with diabetes , insulin resistance or hypoglycaemia.
- High protein levels, which make them the best source of protein for bodybuilders and also for vegans and vegetarians.
- Increased energy, since lentils contain carbohydrates giving energy and also contain iron, which is responsible for transferring oxygen all over the body.
- Weight loss, because it contains no fat!
With all these nutrients, fibre, protein, minerals and vitamins , eat lentils and make your body happy.